Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Lori Lesko author of Our Daughters and a screenplay based on it called Diamond City. She is currently writing her first novel titled COPYRIGHT – a psychological thriller due 2014.
Hi Lori, thank you for agreeing to this interview.
• Tell me a little about yourself and your background? What were you like at school? Were you good at English? What are your ambitions for your writing career? Which writers inspire you? OR something that you feel you need to share?
I was a pretty good student, very shy. I loved English class and especially creative writing and Science Fiction Literature. I also grew up dancing and acting in everything I could. My favorite authors are Emily Bronte, Robert A. Heinlein, Leo Tolstoy, Suzanne Collins, Stephen King, but the list keeps growing. My only ambition is to write to please myself. If I don’t enjoy what I’m writing, then what’s the point?
• What was your life like before becoming an author?
I graduated college with a degree in Psychology and Theater. I worked as a therapist for about 5 years and got burned out. Then I worked at a financial publishing company as an editor until it went under. Now I work at home with a family business on a web site. My free time I spend writing.
• When did you decide to become a writer?
• Which comes first? The character’s story or the idea for the novel?
Always the story.
• Why do you write? What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
It gives me a voice to write. One I didn’t have for a very long time. It’s healing. Read everything you can get your hands on. Don’t compare yourself to other writers and grow a thick skin.
• So, what have you written? /*Include books, novellas, short stories, poems, blogs, awards or anything of interest.
I published a novella called Our Daughters and also a screenplay based on it called Diamond City.
I have the first draft completed on my novel Copyright which I hope to publish spring 2014.
Also, I write a weekly blog on my web site.
• Where people can buy or see them? /* include American, European and any other relevant links. Free, free promotions or prices can be included
Only on Amazon.com!
• Give me an insight into your main character from your last novel /first novel/. What does he/she do that is so special?
Amber Tyler is a famous author who gets her book stolen in COPYRIGHT. She falls to pieces at first and then she becomes bound and determined to risk everything to get it back, no matter what the cost is.
• What sparked the idea for your book/s?
I think darkly when I am coming up with an idea to write about. And it’s every writer’s nightmare that someone will steal their idea or novel. So I simply asked the question, what if that happened?
• Are there any character traits in your book that are based on someone you know? /*Even if the whole character isn’t based on them?
No, but I am always a part of each character I write.
• Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors?
Everyday and right now it’s all Stephen King.
• Where is your favorite place to read and write?
Read outside by the pool and write in my bedroom.
• How do you market your book/s?
Twitter and Google + is the best way right now.
1. Book Links: Our Daughters: http://amzn.to/19fqcMg.
2. Diamond City A Screenplay: http://amzn.to/19fqcMg.
• Do you have any advice for other authors on how to market their books?
Read my blogs and follow other people who know marketing such as Rachel Thompson @RachelintheOC and @BadRedheadMedia on twitter.
• What do you do to get book reviews?
• What advice do you have for someone who would like to become a published writer?
Get your book professionally edited and proofread. Then begin to write a ton of emails and grow that tough skin as I mentioned earlier.
• Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
No, you were very detailed :-)!
• How can readers discover more about you and your work?
See Info below…
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Lori-Lesko/e/B009HQ7T98/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
Google +: https://plus.google.com/u/0/112464949926124379427/posts
Book Links: Our Daughters: http://amzn.to/19fqcMg
Diamond City A Screenplay: http://amzn.to/19fqcMg
It was a great privilege for me to get to interview Lori Lesko, who has inspired me in many different ways. Thank you Lori!!! Good Luck with everything!