Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Leti Del Mar author of The Inadvertent Thief, Land of the Unaltered and How To Self-Publish: A DIY Approach. She also writes a weekly blog post about Self-publishing called Words With Leti Del Mar. When she isn’t writing, she teach Biology and Algebra to teenagers. When she isn’t teaching, she is pursuing her love of Art History, buried deep inside of a museum or she is traveling with her husband and daughter.
Hi Leti, thank you for agreeing to this interview.
- Tell me a little about yourself and your background? What were you like at school? Were you good at English? What are your ambitions for your writing career? Which writers inspire you? Or something that you feel you need to share?
Although I have always loved English and did well with it in school, my aspirations didn’t turn towards writing until recently. About two years ago I decided to write a novel and then decided to self-publish it. My goal is to keep on writing and self-publishing. The Indie way is definitely for me. I love Jane Austen and Agatha Christie, which is why my books always have romance and some kind of mystery to solve in them.
- What was your life like before becoming an author?
I was and still am a Math and Science teacher along with being very active with my family. I have a toddler who keeps me busy.
- Which comes first? The character’s story or the idea for the novel?
I always start with the idea and general plot, the characters come slowly and aren’t fully developed until the end of my first draft.
- When did you decide to become a writer?
About two years ago I decided enough is enough and put one of the more persistent stories in my head on paper.
- Why do you write?
I just have stories to tell. They have always been floating around in my head and I needed to get them out and share them with others.
- So, what have you written?
I’ve written a Romantic Suspense called The Inadvertent Thief, a Young Adult Dystopian Romance called Land of the Unaltered and a Non-Fiction Self-help called, How To Self-Publish: A DIY Approach. I also blog weekly about the craft of writing and Self-publishing on my site, Words With Leti Del Mar.
- Where people can buy or see them? Book Links:
Banes & Noble:
- Give me an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is so special?
Rose, the protagonist of Land of the Unaltered is smart and fiercely independent. Refusing to conform to the society around her and its shallow ideals, she leaves home to get a fresh start in place where her privileged social standing won’t matter.
- What sparked the idea for your book?
I read a nonfiction book called, DNA and The Secret of Life, by Nobel Prize winning James Watson and my mind started spinning with the amazing ways genetics can be applied and could be used in the future.
That got my creative juices flowing for Land of the Unaltered.
- How do you market your book?
I do it all on my own. I do a blog tour and use my own blog and social media outlet to promote my work.
- Do you have any advice for other authors on how to market their books?
Although the business side of writing is important, don’t let it overshadow your writing.
You need to have a high quality product to start with and you need to keep writing.
- What do you do to get book reviews?
I solicit some book bloggers, I swap reviews and I use the message boards of sites like Goodreads and World Lit Cafe.
- What advice do you have for someone who would like to become a published writer?
Keep writing and always be working on your craft.
- Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
Consider self-publishing. Once I looked into it and gave it try, I’ve never regretted it!
- How can readers discover more about you and your work?
My blog has a wealth of information about me and my work. Check it out!
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/leti.delmar
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/leti_delmar
- Lnkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=258928705&trk=tab_pro
- Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Leti-Del-Mar/e/B0089E60LM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
- Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/LetiDelMar
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6440211.Leti_Del_Mar
It was a great privilege for me to get to interview Leti Del Mar, who has inspired me in many different ways. Thank you Letie!!! Good Luck with everything!