Hi everyone, I am so please to share with you Val Sliver‘s interview. She believe that “there are many paths to wellness and that all healing is self-healing.” At her website she provides holistic wellness information and techniques to heal your soul and body.
Hi Val, thank you for agreeing to participate in this interview.
- Tell me a little about yourself and your background? What were you like at school? Were you good at English?
I have had the good fortune to live in different parts of the US and three years in Germany. It was wonderful visiting several European countries and experiencing their culture firsthand.
My early childhood was spent in Brooklyn, NY. I have many happy memories of holidays and visits with our close knit, and often loud extended family. Brooklyn is also where we had our first dogs. Missy the poodle was followed by several German Shepherds who we showed and trained. My family’s love of dogs led us to move to a property with a boarding kennel. I learned a lot about dogs from that experience.
English is my native language and I enjoyed studying literature. Learning grammar was more boring, but I’m thankful for having an eighth grade English teacher who made sure we knew exactly where and how to use each punctuation mark. That has served me well in my writing as a student and writer.
- What are your ambitions for your writing career? Why do you write?
My ambition is to use my writing to influence and encourage others to take better care of themselves and the non-human beings we share the earth with. I write to help others heal and have well-being of body and soul. My book is a fundraiser for dog shelters and rescue, so it is my dream that it raise money for facilities that care for homeless dogs (and other animals).
- Which writers inspire you?
As a teen, my favorite author was Henry David Thoreau. I loved his philosophy and connection with nature, which is very important to me. Writers who write with the purpose of bringing positive energy, truth, wisdom and healing to the reader are those who inspire me.
- What was your life like before becoming an author?
Life was pretty much the same as it is now except that I am more well-known and have received some publicity thanks to being on radio shows and winning awards for Rescue Me.
- When did you decide to become a writer? What have you written?
I don’t know that being a writer was ever something I decided. I’ve written as long as I’ve known how. I remember writing two short fiction stories as a very young child. After that it was mostly diary or journal writing. Several years ago I began writing on-line articles about health and well-being. Today I have a holistic healing website, my book, Rescue Me, and an animal advocacy blog. Writing has become a very important part of my life over the last few years. It’s how I express myself best.
- Where people can buy or see them?
- Rescue Me is available at on-line booksellers including amazon.com – http://www.amazon.com /dp/B00GLF5HQK/. Readers can order an autographed copy of Rescue Me and find its sister books at http://tapinfinity.com/rescue-me-books.
- Readers are invited to download the free companion guide, Be a Hero for Animals at http://tapinfinity.com/hero
- Readers are also invited to visit my Website, holistic-mindbody-healing.com for leading edge information about healing and wellness, and to join the free Members Area for a free ecourse , downloadable ebooks, and more.
- Give me an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is so special?
Rescue Me is a collection of 12 stories by 10 contributors. Each story is about a special dog. These rescued and adopted dogs made us better in so many ways. They taught us about healing, faith, standing up for those in need, and trusting in the power of love.
- What sparked the idea for your book?
As I was perusing on-line sites for a dog it became painfully obvious that there were thousands of dogs waiting for a home. Many were killed because their time was up. It was also painfully obvious that those working the hardest to save these dogs were doing so with not enough money or help. The idea for Rescue Me was born from a desire to raise awareness and sensitivity to the needs of these animals, and funds to help care for them.
- How do you market your book?
Social Media is our main venue. We also participate in radio and blog interviews, on-line fundraisers, and live events such as shelter fundraisers. Since I am a first time author I entered three contests for publicity and social proof. I am very happy to say that Rescue Me placed in each of those award contests.
- 2014 Reader’s Favorite International Book Awards – Silver Medal in Nonfiction Animals
- 2014 US Best Book Awards – Finalist in Nonfiction Animals
- 2015 DogWriters of America Maxwell Winner in Human – Canine Bond category and the ProPlan Presidents Award-Best in Show.
- Do you have any advice for other authors on how to market their books?
Be persistent, don’t give up. Collaborate and network with other authors. Find a marketing method that works best for you and stick with it.
- What do you do to get book reviews?
Some reviews come organically through sales (yay!). When someone writes to tell me they love the book I ask them to post a review. I have also asked reviewers and readers to write a review.
- What advice do you have for someone who would like to become a published writer?
Write for the love of writing and the subject you want to write about. Being passionate about your story or your topic will sustain you through the process and the marketing that goes with being an author. If your book has a benefit for readers, be sure to use that information in your marketing.
- Anything else you want to tell me?
Thank you for the interview Meglena! It’s been a pleasure.
- How can readers discover more about you and your work?
- Website: http://www.holistic-mindbody-healing.com
- Blog: http://tapinfinity.com
- Facebook: http://www.facebook .com/rescuemetales, www.facebook.com/holisticmindbodyhealing
- Lnkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=66429056
- Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/valsilver1
- Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Val-Silver/e/B00GLSBLCG
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/valsilver
It was a great privilege for me to get to interview Val Silver, who has inspired me in many different ways. Thank you Val!!! Good Luck with everything!