New York is composed of five boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island. You need to have any of the 5 on the birth certificate in order to obtain a new one.
How do I obtain an Apostille or Certificate of Authentication from the New York Department of State – here are the 5 steps to get it…
- Have your document notarized
- Have your document certified by the County Clerk where the Notary is qualified
- Complete the Apostille/Certificate of Authentication Request Form
- Submit documents to be apostilled/authenticated with a completed Apostille/Certificate of Authentication Request Form
- Include applicable fees and mailing instructions as indicated on page 1 of this form – Apostille/Certificate of Authentication Request Form (DOS-1917-f (Rev. 07/17): https://www.dos.ny.gov/forms/licensing/en/1917-f.pdf
In more detail….
- Go to OFFICE OF VITAL RECORDS 125 Worth Street, New York, NY 10013 – Room 133
- Office of Vital Records
- Bureau of Vital Statistics
- New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- 125 Worth Street, Room 133, New York, NY 10013
- Hours (excluding holidays) – Monday – Friday – 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. except corrections (9 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
Recommendation: Go in the mornings since the lines are shorter and you may be able to finish quicker.
Most likely you will need to wait on a line. When your turn comes you will add your information on a computer and when you are finished you will get a ticket with your name, a number and information about your case. On the application you will have to choose short or long birth certificate form.
The short form of the birth certificate can be used only in USA. The long form can be used outside of USA.
You will specify that you will need a letter of Exemplification that can be of birth or death record. You will also need to add your name and social security number. If the document you need is for your child you will need to add your child’s name and his/hers father’s name. Of the end you will have to pay for the service with a credit or debit card issued from a USA bank ($15 + $2.75 – per copy). After you get your ticket, you will need to go to room 133 (which is literally next door) and most likely wait on another line. At the counter you will need to show your ID in order to get your document/s.
On the letter of Exemplification the clerk will specify for what will be used the letter – birth or death, he/she will also add a certificate number with the year when the certificate was created, along with the name of the borough where the certificate was issued and the current date. The clerk will also sign at the bottom of the document.
- Go to 60 Center Street, New York, NY (County Clerk Office)
The next step is to have your document/s certified by the County Clerk where the Notary is qualified. The building is located 2 min away from the Office of Vital Records. Take your birth certificate/s and the letter/s of exemplification and go to:
- NEW YORK COUNTY COURT (MANHATTAN)
- 60 Centre St, Room 141, New York, NY 10007
- Pearl Street entrance; special elevator to the basement. Bathrooms on 3rd & 4th floors are wheelchair accessible.
- Phone: 646-386-3600 / Fax: 212-374-3326
- Hours (excluding holidays) – Monday – Friday – 9 a.m. – 5:00 p.m
The County Clerk will certify your document/s by adding a 1 page document with his stamps and signature on it. It will cost you $3 per document which you will need to pay at the cashier (cash). The document will be very similar to the document below:
- Go to 123 WilliamStreet, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10038
Fill-out Apostille/Certificate of Authentication Request Form. You can download the form below or you can fill it out when you go to the Division of Licensing Services office at 123 William Street.
Location for Mailed Requests (No same day service at this location):
- Division Licensing Services Apostille and Authentication
- Unit P.O. Box 22001
Albany, NY 12201-2001
Location for In-Person Deliveries ONLY (No cash or credit cards accepted at this location. Check or money order required.)
- Division of Licensing Services
- 123 WilliamStreet, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10038
- Phone: (518) 474-4770
- Hours (excluding holidays) – Monday – Friday – 8:45 a.m. – 3:30 p.m
Fees/Payment: (Checks/Money Orders must be payable to N.Y.S. Department of State) Number of documents: …….. x $10.00 per document = Total Due: …….
- Apostille/Certificate of Authentication Request Form (DOS-1917-f (Rev. 07/17): https://www.dos.ny.gov/forms/licensing/en/1917-f.pdf
Recommendation: Go before 3:30 pm and you will get your Apostille/s the same day. If you go after 3:30 pm your documents will be ready the next business day.
With your check or money order, along with your birth certificate/s and the letter/s of exemplification you will submit your documents to be apostilled/authenticated with a completed Apostille/Certificate of Authentication Request Form. The Apostille will have a stamp and signature of the Special Deputy Secretary of State. All document will be put together and returned to you the same day (submitted before 3:30 pm) or the next business day (submitted after 3:30 pm).
- For more information on Birth Certificates go here: https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/birth.htm